Jeroen van der Veen

Always keep developing

Month: April 2014

Props wish list

As the R2-D2 project is quite a substantial one, I’ve also been thinking about some smaller projects I would like to pick up eventually. Here are the smaller props that I’m thinking of right now. Please leave me some suggestions if you have any cool ideas for smaller projects in the comments below.

The Ghostbusters Ghost Trap

gbtrap_playskool2000

A Skyrim/LOTR/other Shield

Skyrim-Shield-Table-1

Aaaaaaaall Kinds of Helmets

Like Iron Man, a Batcowl, medieval armor, and the list goes on 🙂

A leg to stand on

It’s been a while since the last update, but with good reason. Over the last couple of weeks I’ve been working out my little R2 as a 3D model to get a grip on all of the dimensions and individual parts involved. The first pieces I will be working on next on the build itself are the legs. For now a couple of screenshots of the legs will have to do though 🙂

I’ve used Sketchup as my 3D modeling tool of choice. It isn’t a very accurate 3D modeler, but for architectural designs and models it’s a wonderfully fast tool. And best of all, it’s free! By using the 3D model I can easily get all the measurements I need on three axes in stead of two from a regular old blueprint. It also helps me comparing it to the reference photos I have to get as close as I can to the real thing.

Also I have adjusted the measurements slightly to fit the standard MDF board thicknesses I’ll be using later on.

For now, here are some screenshots of the legs:

legs

Painting the panels blue

After grinding and straightening out the panels, the time to paint them has arrived. I went to the local hardware store and bought some primer and a nice shade of dark blue paint. I did get a solid primer, because I did not want to run the risk of the paint coming off at the seems after a few weeks. The two paint cans set me back about 17 euros, but I’ll be able to use them for all the blue elements on the R2 later on.

I sanded and primed the panels, left it out to dry for 24 hours, and then applied the first layer of paint. After that had dried for another 24 hours I put on the final coat. Don’t forget to sand in between paint jobs, kids!

As you can see in the pictures the metal dome itself still has some rough edges, but I’ll smooth them out later. For now I’ve just put the panels in place with some electrical tape. This will come in handy later because I will have to remove them for the other holes I still have to make. I haven’t decided how to permanently fix them yet. Right now I’m still trying to figure out if I’ll make them moveable or to just affix them in place permanently.

20140329_153330 20140329_153334 20140403_193304 20140403_193314