It’s been a while since the last update, but with good reason. Over the last couple of weeks I’ve been working out my little R2 as a 3D model to get a grip on all of the dimensions and individual parts involved. The first pieces I will be working on next on the build itself are the legs. For now a couple of screenshots of the legs will have to do though 🙂

I’ve used Sketchup as my 3D modeling tool of choice. It isn’t a very accurate 3D modeler, but for architectural designs and models it’s a wonderfully fast tool. And best of all, it’s free! By using the 3D model I can easily get all the measurements I need on three axes in stead of two from a regular old blueprint. It also helps me comparing it to the reference photos I have to get as close as I can to the real thing.

Also I have adjusted the measurements slightly to fit the standard MDF board thicknesses I’ll be using later on.

For now, here are some screenshots of the legs:

legs