After grinding and straightening out the panels, the time to paint them has arrived. I went to the local hardware store and bought some primer and a nice shade of dark blue paint. I did get a solid primer, because I did not want to run the risk of the paint coming off at the seems after a few weeks. The two paint cans set me back about 17 euros, but I’ll be able to use them for all the blue elements on the R2 later on.
I sanded and primed the panels, left it out to dry for 24 hours, and then applied the first layer of paint. After that had dried for another 24 hours I put on the final coat. Don’t forget to sand in between paint jobs, kids!
As you can see in the pictures the metal dome itself still has some rough edges, but I’ll smooth them out later. For now I’ve just put the panels in place with some electrical tape. This will come in handy later because I will have to remove them for the other holes I still have to make. I haven’t decided how to permanently fix them yet. Right now I’m still trying to figure out if I’ll make them moveable or to just affix them in place permanently.